Founded in 1565 in St. Augustine, Florida, the Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche, the nursing Madonna, was built at the first Mission in America and was the first ever to be dedicated to the Blessed Mother in the United States. Located at the shrine is the Mission of Los Nombres de Dios, a 208 foot cross, a museum, the Prince of Peace church, outdoor stations of the cross, and a cemetery.
The first mass in North America was celebrated at the Mission.
The devotion to Mary as Our Lady of La Leche, patroness of Mothers and Mothers-to-be was brought from Spain in 1603. The intercession of Our Lady of La Leche is often sought by those looking to conceive and have a successful delivery.